Today, we would like to reflect on how our decisions lead the way to sustainability path. With our choices s consumers, producers and distributors, we can help to contribute to a better environment.
We have more power than we think!
We know that it is often complicated, either because we get into a routine that is difficult to get out of, or because we have so much information on the subject that we don’t even know where to start. You have power as consumers, demanding and choosing to buy from companies that are in line with sustainable values and that contribute to the betterment of society. We, as organisations, must also take the initiative and make it easy.
As you also know, it is the details that make the difference, and with small everyday gestures we can contribute much more than we think:
- Buy what is necessary: if you throw away food, apart from being a totally avoidable waste, you are not only throwing away that food, but everything it has behind it, i.e., its production, the transport used, the time invested, the energy and machinery needed, etc. To avoid this, the key is to be organised, buying just the food you know you are going to eat and, for example, freezing food before its expiry date.
- Recycle: it is just as important to separate waste into organic, plastic, cardboard, etc. as it is to buy products that use sustainable materials. In our case, the cardboard, label paper, boxes and wood that we use have the FSC stamp. This means that these materials have a certificate that verify that the wood from which the product is made, comes from forests managed according to the criteria of the Forest Stewardship Council (including measures of sustainable forest management in ecological, social and economic aspects), one of the most honest solutions for sustainable forest management.
- Reuse: give a second life to the things you buy, just use your imagination! And if you can’t think of anything, here are some ideas on how to reuse some Camino Mitad product packs: you can wash the honey jars and use them as containers to store nuts, use them as smoothie glasses, to store homemade tomato sauces, breadcrumbs… Or you can use our boxes both for storage and for picnic baskets. There are endless options!
- Conscious shopping: the power of choice we have as consumers is a superpower that we must put into practice. Choosing fruit without plastic packaging, vegetables sourced in Spain or water in recyclable cardboard packaging are examples of actions that are part of the solution.
- Buy local: as we have already mentioned in previous articles, by consuming locally, apart from benefiting your community, you avoid buying products of foreign origin and we give value to what we produce locally. The easiest thing to do in these cases is to look at the labels; who produces it, who distributes it, who sells it?
- Consistency: of course, all this is of little use if we do not adopt it as a habit and as a new way of life, healthier for the earth and for those of us who live on it.
But, as we have said before, the burden of all this is not only on the consumer, but the organisations and small businesses must also get involved and contribute as much as possible. As you already know, we are committed to local products from small producers and that is what you will find in our shop, products that we know are fresh, with a minimum route and that we know the production processes of each one.
The figures that experts give us when they talk about the environment are really worrying and we can do our bit: we know the problems, we are aware of them and we can help to solve them. So let’s start acting, as consumers and as organisations, by choosing what is best for the planet, because it is the small details that make the difference.